Valentine’s Day is almost here and we’ve got you covered for a cheesy appetizer and dessert, sure to give you a heart-on!
Appetizer: Baked “Bray”
Typically this dish is done with Brie, but we like spicing things up at The Cheese Gallery. Instead, we are subbing in Coeur de Bray Neufchatel. This is one of France’s oldest cheeses, and rumour has it that it got hearts wagging as early as 1035. Supposedly French farm girls made this cheese heart-shaped in an attempt to woo British soldiers during the Hundred Years War. Sure to kick off your evening with some romance, this cheese is similar to a Camembert, and will be paired below with fresh cranberries to make it extra festive:
8 ounces Coeur de Bray Neufchatel cheese round
1 tablespoon maple syrup
¼ cup fresh cranberries, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
½ teaspoon orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place cheese on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Pour the maple syrup over top of the cheese.
4. Add cranberries and sprinkle with thyme and orange zest.
5. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until soft to cut.
6. Remove from oven, and transfer onto a serving plate with an assortment of crackers, baguette, and nuts.
Dessert: Cheese Cookies
It sounds simple, but after a decadent and cheesy dining experience, all we really want is a cookie! Check out this recipe below using another one of our heart shaped cheeses: Godminster Organic Cheddar.
250g plain flour
1 egg yolk
½ cup grated Godminster Organic Cheddar
Top with ¼ cup of grated Godminster Organic Cheddar and an egg yolk for brushing.
1. Combine the main ingredients until soft dough forms. Pat the dough out to a circle, and chill in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
2. Remove from the fridge, and gently roll out your desired thickness and cut out using a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
3. Brush the surface of the cookies with the egg yolk and sprinkle grated cheese.
4. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
From all of us at The Cheese Gallery we wish you and yours the happiest Valentine’s Day!